So me and my brothers have been going back to the old Pokémon games, starting obviously with Gen 1, then Gen 2, then so on and so forth.
A problem we’ve encountered was that the battery backup saves for most opf the games, which stops them from saving again, in cast it isn’t obvious.
The good news of course is that the batteries can be replaces, and there are 2 methods, and my journey for fixing Gen 2, I eventually use both.
The first method I used on Gold and Silver, where you use something sharp to pull the tabs off of the battery being held, and replace it with another one and hold it down with Bluetack or Tape.
Stairting with taking the cases apart
Then taking the battery out
Then using Blu-tack to stick a new one in!
So then I tried the same thing with Crystal… and I couldn’t for the life of me take the battery off! I ended up cutting my finger and really scratching the battery trying!
So I gave up, and decided to try and use the second method, which involved soldering the original battery off and soldering the new one in.
I don’t have a soldering iron, but there was a Modding Club happening at R-cade the following week, and they agreed to help me do this!
The first thing that happened when I went to R-cade was that the owner took off the Crystal battery the first method without any issues… FFFFFFUUUUUUUU-
We decided to solder a new one on anyway, and the soldering went really smoothly. I was really hesitant at first, but it was over before I knew it!
I figured while I was there, I decided to fix some problems with my Game Boy, such as the squishy buttons, the funny speaker, and just cleaning the console all around.
The buttons were really dirty! So I decided to give them a good clean!
Most of the buttons were easy, but the D-Pad was so manky! It took forever to get most of the stains off, and even in the end, some of the gunk was still there!
Next up was the speaker, which was a relatively simple and quick job.
The last thing was to fix the extension port, and while we couldn’t restore it 100% what it was, we certainly improved it, and now the link cable actually kind od stays in there!
Then I gave the cartridge slot a clean, since some games need a few tries to work.
Then I put the console back together, and tested it, and I’m happy to say it’s almost as good as new! The save works, too!
So that was an interesting and fun journey of fixing my games and console! I’ve had a lot of fun doing this, and really hope to post more of these blogs!
Until then, BYE!